Dog saves owner from choking to death on sweet by accidentally performing Heimlich
A woman told today how her dog saved her life when she was choking to death on a sweet.
Terrified Rachel Hayes, aged 40, was doubled over gasping for breath after a strawberry pastille got stuck in her throat in the kitchen at home.
But worried springer spaniel Mollypops accidentally performed the Heimlich manoeuvre on her owner – and the sweet popped out.
Rachel said: “She’s an absolute hero.
“It happened when I sat down to have a sweet.
“It got stuck in the back of my throat and I couldn’t get it back up. I couldn’t phone anyone because I couldn’t talk.
“I was having difficulty breathing but Mollypops’ sixth sense kicked in and she knew I was in trouble.
“She was insistently trying to help me and I kept pushing her away.
“But she kept coming around me because she could see I was trying to get something from my throat. But I kept pushing her away because I couldn’t really breathe.
“Then Mollypops came up behind me put her paws on me and bashed on my back with such force the sweet came out.
“I just burst out crying and said, ‘I love you.’ She came over for a cuddle and I cuddled her. I told her she was a hero.
“I think she’s glad to have me alive, otherwise she would have been left all on her own. But I don’t think she knows quite what she has done.
“I was crying and shaking because I thought I was going to die.
“I gave Mollypops lots of cuddles and, as a thank you, I bought her a squeaky chicken and some doggy sweets.”
Rachel has lived alone with Mollypops in Drefach Felindre, Carmarthenshire, since her mum died nearly three years ago.
Via Mirror UK